Saturday 28 March 2009

Give a dog a bad name


Dobermans, aren't they vicious? I wish I had a pound for every time I'm asked that question - actually scratch that, I wish I had a Euro for every time I'm asked that question (it would probably be worth more).
Due to their high intelligence and obedience, Dobermans are widely used in film and television, and are often portrayed negatively. Examples - zombie dogs in 'Resident Evil' films, 'Zoltan hound of Dracula', the boys 'Magnum PI', Mr Burns' dogs in 'The Simpsons' ("Smithers - release the hounds!"). Okay the last one is tenuous, but it highlights how stereotyped the image of Dobermans has become. I have learned to smile politely as people tell me what a vicious dog I own; often if I enquire whether the person has had a negative experience with a Doberman, it turns out that Fudge is the first that they have ever met. Dobermans in the UK are not common dogs. It can't be denied that Dobermans are good protection dogs, they are used in both Army and Police forces around the world. But they are good protection dogs because they are brave and intelligent, not because they are vicious - a vicious working dog is a liability. A recent American study showed that based on per capita figures, you are statistically more likely to be bitten by a Golden Retriever or a Cocker Spaniel than a Doberman. I can't comment on the Golden Retriever, but I've had 4 Cockers, and 3 out of those 4 have had little nips at people they didn't like the look of. Fudge has never tried to bite anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment